Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Resisting My Cookie Monster

The last month has been filled with ups and downs, as usual.  I've been on the verge of a 50 pound loss for the last couple of weeks without much movement.  I find this has been a process of continual rededication to the plan.  It's not easy.  I've been doing well for the most part, I think.

I opened the door the other day to find my new neighbor introducing herself...with a plate of cookies.  I definitely had mixed feelings about it.  Both joy and terror (about the cookies, that is).  They looked and smelled delicious...pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.  I had started the day with a feeling of rededication.  It had been my birthday the day before and after having a good day, I found myself the recipient of birthday cookies.  I felt sabotaged and trapped and I couldn't just leave them be.  I was hoping after some time and practice, I would be able to handle such dilemmas on my own.  But this was not the case.  I promptly ate all 5 cookies within a moment and feeling discouraged, I went out for ice cream...a half gallon of it.  I'm sure you can imagine what happened next.  So with that being my day before, I was once again faced with cookies.  I wanted to do things different this time.  I tried to think.  Do I eat just one and crumple the rest in the toilet?  Do I not eat any because I know I can't stop?  Do I have the strength to do either one?  I did decide to wait for after dinner and then I ate a couple.  But it wasn't long before the rest called my name.

It's difficult to say when or if I'll be able to be in a room alone with treats and not overdo it.  But I keep trying.  I've been told it's too soon to expect.  Maybe with more time.  But I have lost almost 50 pounds in the last 6 months.  I must be doing something right!

No comments:

Post a Comment